T Visa

Human Rights First

T Visas are for victims of human trafficking. Human trafficking involves the use of force, fraud, or coercion to obtain some type of labor or commercial sex act.


You are eligible for a T visa if all of these apply to you:

  • You were the victim of sex or labor trafficking — read more on human trafficking here;
  • Have either entered the U.S. or are at a port of entry due to trafficking;
  • Have complied with any reasonable request by law enforcement agency for assistance in the investigation or prosecution of the trafficker UNLESS you are under 18 or unable to cooperate due to physical or psychological trauma;
  • Demonstrated that you would suffer extreme hardship involving unusual and severe harm if removed from the U.S.;
  • Are otherwise admissible to U.S.

If you are inadmissible for any reason, request a waiver of inadmissibility by filing Form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as Nonimmigrant. If you think you may be inadmissible, consult with an immigration attorney.

It is important to consult with an immigration attorney to determine your eligibility and to assist you with this complicated process.

File Form I-914, Application for T Nonimmigrant Status, with all required supporting documentation.

Click for a T Visa/Form I-914 document checklist.


Your application can include your parents, unmarried siblings under the age of 18, and children of any age or marital status if your family members are in danger of retaliation as a result of your escape from trafficking or cooperation with law enforcement.

  • If you are 21 or older and your family members are NOT in present danger of retaliation, you can include your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21.
  • If you are under 21 and your family is NOT in present danger of retaliation, you may petition for spouse, parents, unmarried children under the age of 21, and unmarried siblings who are under 18.