Student Visas

Human Rights First

The U.S. grants student visas to share and export democratic ideals and practices. Because of the dangerous situation in Afghanistan, Afghan students who have been admitted to U.S. schools or exchange programs may be eligible for F-1 or J-1 visas.

Applying for these visas can be complex, it may be helpful to consult with an immigration attorney to determine your eligibility and to assist you with the process.

If you have been admitted to and are planning to attend a university, college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, or other academic institution in the U.S., you may be eligible for a F-1 Visa.

For more on how to apply for an F-1 Visa, please visit the Student Visa section of U.S. Department of State website and consult with an immigration attorney.

If you are an exchange visitor or scholar seeking to participate in a cultural exchange program, or accepted into an accredited exchange visitor program with a sponsoring organization, you may be eligible for a J-1 Visa.

To find out more, please visit the U.S. Department of State website and consult with an attorney.

PennState Law’s Guide to Legal Pathways and Resources for Afghan Students and Scholars

Scholars at Risk Network

Scholar Rescue Fund