Project: Afghan Legal Assistance

Employment Visa

Human Rights First

Employment-based visa and green card programs allow immigrant workers to obtain permanent residence in the U.S. and eventually become U.S. citizens. Eligibility is determined by an applicant’s experience, education, and field of work. 

Types of employment visas

The E visa category includes investors and people who trade in goods, including  services and technology, mainly between the United States and their country of origin.  

To apply: 

H-1B visas are available to people in specialty occupations, who perform services of exceptional merit and ability relating to a Department of Defense projects, or provide services as fashion models 

The applicant must provide proof of a job offer from a U.S. employer for a position requiring specialty knowledge and a bachelor’s degree or equivalent.  

L-visas are available for employers looking to transfer their executives, managers, and specialized employees from a foreign branch to the U.S.  

I visas are available to representatives of foreign media — press, radio, film, print, and other fields.  

The representative’s media organization must have its home office in a foreign country.  


O visas are for individuals possessing extraordinary abilities in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, television, and film.  

Q visas are available to individuals looking to participate in a cultural exchange program approved by the Secretary of Homeland Security.  

Only qualified employers organizing cultural exchange programs, or their designated agents, may petition for Q nonimmigrants.  

Where do I apply for an employment visa?

Instructions on how to apply for an employment visa in the U.S. can be found on the Department of State’s website.  

In Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Turkey, and India, you must go to the U.S. consulate to apply for an employment visa.