Round-Up: Retired Military Leaders for federal court trials of KSM
On Friday March 5, 2010, after reports that President Obama might change course and use military commissions, rather than federal courts, to prosecute the 9/11 defendants – a big mistake – HRF quickly mobilized some voices of reason for a press call.
The call featured HRF CEO & President Elisa Massimino and three members of a distinguished group of retired military leaders, with whom we have been working for years to end torture and close Guantanamo.
Listen to the call / read the transcript.
The press call received a flurry of press – see the major articles below:
- Debate Flares Anew on Civil vs. Military Terror Trial New York Times, March 5, 2010
- Terrorism trial creates political problem for Obama Los Angeles Times, March 5, 2010
- Obama Administration Considers Trying 9/11 Suspects in Military Tribunal Wall Street Journal, March 5, 2010
- Gen. Nash: Don’t Let Fearmongers ‘Drive Us Away From Doing the Right Thing’ Washington Independent, March 5, 2010
- Rights groups slam rumors of Obama flip on KSM trial Washington Times, March 6, 2010
- Possible KSM Trial Move Draws Backlash, CBS News, March 5, 2010
- Obama Aides Still Reviewing Moving Sept. 11 Trial From New York, Bloomberg Business Week, March 5, 2010
- Rights groups warn Obama on 9/11 trial U-turn, AFP, March 5, 2010
Call the White House today to urge the President to not make this wrong decision. And spread the word!